How you spend your mornings is so important to setting the tone for the rest of the day. This is why it is a good idea to get a productive start and thrive on that momentum.
Below is a list of 5 easy things you can do to help achieve a sense of accomplishment in the morning and set yourself up for a prodcuvitve day.
- Drink a glass of water and eat a small meal or snack (unless your an intermittent faster or not into breakfast – but the water is a must). Drinking water quenches your thirst after 6-10 hours of being dehydrated from sleeping and, not drinking water. Your body and brain will be pleased with you. You will defog your brain and switch over to a high alert mode.
- Do a mind sweep or a brain dump. It is hard to be productive when you have a list of to-dos and reminders swirling around in your mind. Start your morning by sitting down with your beverage of choice and your favourite notepad, and jot down pretty much everything that comes to mind. You want to empty out your brain. As soon as you get something on paper, your brain will ease up on the constant reminder, because you have implemented a fail-safe to avoid forgetting.
- Set your intentions for the day. Now, exchange that notepad for your planner, phone app, journal, or whatever it is that you use to plan out your day. Setting your intentions for the day will increase the chance that you will do what you set out to do. Avoid making a long list of chores for yourself, your list should be attainable. I usually set out a maximum priority task, along with 2-3 high priority tasks. Your maximum priority task should be the unmissable task of the day, the task that, if completed, you will feel like you did what you needed to do today.
- Get something done first thing (even if it’s small) in the morning to get your momentum going. This could be literally anything! Work on a personal development course, read a book, listen to a podcast, work on your side hustle, learn a new language or skill, clean, workout … literally, anything. This will make you feel productive and will inspire you to keep chopping away at your priority to-do list.
- Do something that makes you happy. It’s a good idea to make sure you start the day off with something that makes you happy – this will contribute to attaining your perfect work-life balance and will make it so that you are looking forward to your mornings as opposed to dreading them and hitting the snooze button a hundred times. Small enjoyable things you can do in the morning can be, putting on your makeup, listening to music, hugging a loved one, snuggling a fur baby or whatever else puts a smile on your face.
Mornings can oftentimes be stressful. But, if you give yourself enough time to get ready for the day and do these 5 things every morning to maximize your productivity, you will find mornings can actually be quite enjoyable.
Is there anything that you do daily that contribute to your productivity? Let us know in the comments below!